[Lingtyp] Topic and focus markers with other functions

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Sat Aug 3 16:14:32 UTC 2019

Am 02.08.19 um 22:10 schrieb Eva Schultze-Berndt:

> Quite apart from the problems of defining focus (on which I'm less
> sceptical than the sources Eitan cites), in some of the categories
> that have been cited the literature as focus markers the question
> arises whether they really *mark* focus, or are rather (i) attracted
> to a focused constituent, or (ii) focus plays a role in their
> distribution.

Since this question has been taken up by others, I may be allowed to
refer you to an article which is devoted to this problem of linguistic
analysis:

Lehmann, Christian 2014, “Indirect coding”. Rainer, Franz & Gardani,
Francesco & Luschützky, Hans Christian & Dressler, Wolfgang U. (eds.),
/Morphology and meaning. Selected papers from the 15th International
Morphology Meeting, Vienna, February 2012./ Amsterdam & Philadelphia: J.
Benjamins (CILT, 327); 97-124. [downloadable
<https://www.christianlehmann.eu/publ/lehmann_indirect_coding.pdf>]

Best,

Christian

--