[Lingtyp] Query re anaphoric object pronouns

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Mon Dec 16 15:30:00 UTC 2019

dear Martin,

One dimension you forgot to mention, and which appears crucial to me for
any study of that sort, is animacy.
I can think of many languages where zero-anaphora is allowed (or even the
rule) for inanimate patients, while it would be less possible for animate ~
human ones.

I think this is true, for example, for the *Mandarin *example you cite:

今天早上我见到了*她*。
Jīntiān  zǎoshang  wǒ   jiàndào le   *tā*.

today    morning   1sg  see     PFT  3sg:(Fem)

'I saw *her* this morning.'

今天早上我见到了。
Jīntiān zǎoshang  wǒ  jiàndào le  ∅.
today   morning   1sg see     PFT ∅
'I saw *it* this morning.'

(Chinese speakers and experts, please correct me.)

*Mwotlap *(and other northern Vanuatu languages) would be similar:   Zero
anaphora is the norm for non-human objects, but not expected for human
objects:

No  m-eksas  *kē *   aqyig         lemtap

1sg PFT-see   3sg  today:Past  morning

'I saw *her* this morning.'

No  m-eksas  *∅*    aqyig         lemtap
1sg PFT-see   ∅  today:Past  morning

'I saw *it* this morning.'

I don't think that Mandarin *tā* qualifies as a clitic;  nor does Mwotlap
*kē*.
Insofar as they are obligatorily expressed for animate patients, then these
cases would constitute, like English, exceptions to the general principle
you're proposing.

best
Alex
------------------------------