[Lingtyp] Resources on glossing choices

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Tue Dec 31 15:35:26 UTC 2019

Dear Kate,

the best system of glossing that I know of is on my website (:-)):

https://www.christianlehmann.eu/ling/ling_meth/ling_description/grammaticography/gloss/index.php

which expands on an earlier publication referenced there.

As for your particular problem, I agree with you that the main concern
is consistency. Assume you can distinguish between homonymy and
polysemy, then even enumerating all the polysemous senses of a
morph(eme) may be much to cumbersome for the gloss to be helpful. In
such a case, my recommendation would be to treat the set of functions of
each morpheme in the respective chapter of your grammar, relieving thus
the interlinear gloss of this task, and adding a note that your glosses
are, in this respect, context-dependent. To be sure, this is against a
more general principle of consistent glossing. However, interlinear
glosses serve a practical, not a theoretical function.

Best,

Christian

--
Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann