[Lingtyp] complex postpositions

TasakuTsunoda tasakutsunoda at nifty.com
Sun Feb 3 08:39:59 UTC 2019

Dear Nigel,

    The complex adposition in front of contains a noun (front). It is interesting to note that Japanese has a large number of complex postpositions that contain a verb. I suppose there are works written in English that describe such complex postpositions of Japanese.

    Your posting concerns complex adpositions, but I wish to provide some information on complex conjunctions or complex clause-linkage markers (“CLMS”). Japanese has a large number of complex CLMs that contain a verb. Mie Tsunoda (2018) lists about 50 such complex CLMs and gives examples of a couple of them. Mie Tsunoda (2016) provides a detailed analysis of the semantic, pragmatic and morphological aspects of eleven complex CLMs. These works show that these complex CLMs (involving a verb) express various modal meanings.

Tsunoda, Mie. 2016. Verbal inflectional morphology and modality in compound clause-linkage markers in Japanese. Studies in Language 40(4). 815-871.

Tsunoda, Mie. 2018. Japanese. In Tasaku Tsunoda (ed.), Levels in clause linkage[:] A crosslinguistic survey (Comparative Handbooks of Linguistics Volume 2), 47-75. Berlin and Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.

Best wishes,

Tasaku Tsunoda

送信元: Lingtyp <lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org> (Nigel Vincent <nigel.vincent at manchester.ac.uk> の代理)