[Lingtyp] Languages with connotations for 'left' and 'right'

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Thu Feb 28 14:44:30 UTC 2019

Dear David — The left hand taboo travels with Islam. As such, it has gotten into West Africa, for example.

More generally, regarding Horia’s question, I highly recommend considering the hypothesis that all such associations are due to contact with one of two cultural spheres it which they have been diffused: the Islamic sphere and the Christian sphere, with the latter inheriting the associations from Latin.

I’m not claiming that cultural transmission is the sole explanation, mind you. What I’m suggesting is considering that explanation by way of satisfying Occam’s Razor.

In other words, my point is that if examples could be found of languages that have the association without evidence of contact diffusion through Christianity or Islam, that would greatly strengthen the case for a cognitive explanation.

Best — Juergen