[Lingtyp] Languages with connotations for 'left' and 'right'

David Inman davinman at uw.edu
Thu Feb 28 17:35:20 UTC 2019

In Nuuchahnulth (South Wakashan), right side is *ʔapcaas* or *čimcaas*,
which derives from *ʔap-* meaning 'straight' or 'correct', and *čim-*
which seems to be an old root for 'correct' or 'good'. Left side is *qacaas*,
which is not decomposable to my knowledge and is not (again, to my
knowledge) associated with anything sinister or wrong.

David Inman
PhD Candidate
University of Washington Linguistics