[Lingtyp] Languages with connotations for 'left' and 'right'

Randy J. LaPolla randy.lapolla at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 23:04:12 EST 2019

Dear Horia,

> In studies on handedness across cultures, Hertz (1909) and McManus (2002) have suggested that the right-left binary has also often correlated to other binaries such as life-death, sacred-profane, male-female, healthy-ill, heavens-earth etc.

This is certainly the case in Old China, where left is east (the primary orientation in Chinese thought is to the south), male, yang, strong, and auspicious, and right is west, female, yin, weak, and inauspicious. The correlations of left and right have not stayed consistent over the thousands of years of recorded Chinese history, though, and there are cases of ‘left’ being used for ‘wrong’ or at least ’not the usual'. In some cases there is a secondary causation for a correlation, e.g. there is an old expression for getting demoted, which is 左遷 zuǒ qiān ‘move left’, but this was due to the Chinese characters being written top-to-bottom and right-to-left: in listings of officials, those in higher positions would be written first (i.e. would be further right on the page), and so if one was demoted they would be moved further to the left on the page, hence the euphemism for being demoted.

All the best,
Randy
-----
Randy J. LaPolla, PhD FAHA (羅仁地)
Professor of Linguistics, with courtesy appointment in Chinese, School of Humanities
Nanyang Technological University
HSS-03-45, 48 Nanyang Avenue | Singapore 639818
http://randylapolla.net/
Most recent books:
The Sino-Tibetan Languages, 2nd Edition (2017)
https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324 <https://www.routledge.com/The-Sino-Tibetan-Languages-2nd-Edition/LaPolla-Thurgood/p/book/9781138783324>
Sino-Tibetan Linguistics (2018)
https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397 <https://www.routledge.com/Sino-Tibetan-Linguistics/LaPolla/p/book/9780415577397>