[Lingtyp] Co-expression of future and past

Don Killian donald.killian at helsinki.fi
Fri Jan 4 09:47:43 UTC 2019

Dear Lauren,

Apologies for the delay, but I thought to point out two things that
might be of interest.

First, According to Aviles (2008), Dar Daju Daju is a language which has
present and non-present forms of verbs. The default interpretation is
generally past tense, but if an irrealis particle ki is added to the
clause, it gives a future interpretation.

In Balantak, you actually find a present vs non-present distinction in
demonstratives (van den Berg & Busenitz 2012). Non-perceived
demonstratives refer to something out of view, and non-present forms add
a component indicating that the referent is no longer in the location,
or not yet in the location. Something slightly similar occurs in the
demonstrative system of Sakao (Guy 1974).

Best,

Don

Aviles, Arthur J. 2008. The phonology and morphology of the Dar Daju
Daju language. MA thesis, University of North Dakota.

van den Berg, René and Robert Busenitz. 2012. A grammar of Balantak. SIL
International.

Guy, J.B.M. 1974. A Grammar of the Northern Dialect of Sakao. Canberra,
Pacific Linguistics Series B.