[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Ilja Seržant ilja.serzants at uni-leipzig.de
Fri Jan 4 22:49:02 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I apologize for a side remark. But do we call any kind of argumental and
non-argumental animate (experiencer) dative NP a non-canonical
*subject*? :-) Does it really make sense to use the notion of subject
that way? Woudn't be a term like "dative experiencer" or
"dative/recipient-like experiencer" be more adequate for a
cross-linguistic comparison?

Best,

Ilja

Am 21.12.2018 um 17:00 schrieb Spike Gildea:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I forward a query from my colleague, Jóhanna Barðdal, who is looking
> for examples of predicates of "success” with non canonical subject
> marking, in particular those that take a dative subject.
>
>> We are working on Indo-European verbs/predicates with the meanings
>> 'succeed', 'be successful', 'make progress', 'turn out well', 'go
>> well'. The last one in the sense "he is doing well in his dance
>> class" or even "he is doing well in life”.
>
> Thank you in advance for indications of other places in the world
> where we might find such predicates taking a dative subject!
>
> Best,
> Spike

Ilja A. Seržant, postdoc
Project "Grammatical Universals"