[Lingtyp] Verbs of success with dative subject

Johanna NICHOLS johanna at berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 5 17:27:50 UTC 2019

I think the beauty and utility of "subject" is precisely its
looseness.  If typologists can use it in passing without making a
precise claim, we can all continue to understand the gist of what is
meant and work out the precise details later in dedicated work on that
topic.  For new, precisely defined technical concepts let's have new
terms instead of repurposed existing terms.

I use "dative subject" like that:  a dative with subject properties,
identifiable as a distinct grammatical entity before an exhaustive
list of subject properties has been drawn up and surveyed across the
relevant verbal lexicon, and before we all agree on a precise
definition of "experiencer" that will let me distinguish dative
subjects from other dative experiencers.  And meanwhile I think
everybody understands what is meant.

Johanna