[Lingtyp] PostDoc positions in cross-linguistic corpus project Berlin and Lyon

Frank Seifart frank.seifart at cnrs.fr
Thu Jan 10 15:20:08 UTC 2019

(please excuse multiple postings)

Dear colleagues,

We're offering two PostDocs positions, one in Berlin and one in Lyon, in
our DFG-ANR "DoReCo" project. The announcement for the job in Berlin
(corpus building and phonetics) can be found at
http://www.zas.gwz-berlin.de/fileadmin/material/jobs/Doreco_Postdoc_Job_announcement.pdf,
the one for Lyon (corpus building and information rates) can be found at
http://bit.ly/2RgAdXZ. Below, I paste further information on the project
as a whole.

The deadline for applications for the position in Berlin is January 20,
the deadline for the one in Lyon is January 28, both are open until
filled. Please distribute these exciting possibilities widely in your
networks and encourage candidates to apply and to contact me directly
(or Manfred Krifka, for the PostDoc position in Berlin) should any
questions arise.

Best wishes,

Frank

Project title: Cross-linguistic phonetics and morphology using a
time-aligned multilingual reference corpus built from documentations of
50 languages: Big data on small languages (DoReCo)

PIs: Frank Seifart (CNRS-DDL, Lyon) & Manfred Krifka (ZAS, Berlin)

Abstract: Speech rate and pauses provide us with a window into the
cognitive-neural and physiological-articulatory basesof the human
language production system, but cross-linguistic variation in this
domain remain understudied. This project fills this gap by comparative
studies of spontaneously spoken language in a diverse sample of 50
languages. For this purpose, we create a multilingual reference corpus
of language documentation data (DoReCo) consisting of annotations and
associated audio recordings that are archived at repositories such as
The Language Archive (TLA), especially from the DOBES collection. DoReCo
will be built from data that are already transcribed, translated into a
major language, and time-aligned at the level of discourse units with
audio files. Within the current project, these data will be time-aligned
at the phoneme level. We have identified at least 50 languages, from
which corpora of at least 10,000 words can be included in DoReCo, and a
subset of at least 30 of these, which are additionally already annotated
for morpheme breaks and morpheme glosses. In DoReCo, subcorpora and
annotations are treated as citable publications, provided with a
permanent identifier and associated with a CC BY 4.0 license. DoReCo
will have a lasting effect beyond the specific research goals of the
DoReCo project, as a platform for easy access to over one million words
of annotated corpus data from over 50 languages for cross-linguistic
research on spoken language. This represents an unprecedented
contribution to open, reproducible science regarding global linguistic
diversity and cultural heritage. Both of DoReCo’s two specific research
goals address the universality of constraints on human language arising
from species-wide articulatory and cognitive properties: Firstly [in
Berlin], we investigate patterns of phonetic lengthening with the aim
towards establishing universal vs. language-specific patterns in (i) the
degree to which different types of phonological segments undergo
variation in duration (e.g. vowels vs. different types of consonants) –
reflecting articulatory and perceptual constraints – and (ii) word-final
lengthening as indicative of major vs. minor prosodic boundaries –
reflecting cognitive constraints on planning and potentially signalling
discourse units. Secondly [in Lyon], we investigate universal vs.
language-specific patterns in the temporal distribution of morphemes
regarding (i) information rate in terms of morphemes per second and (ii)
the number of morphemes in inter-pausal units – both reflecting
cognitive constraints on language use. The project will be carried out
by an interdisciplinary team bringing together expertise on documentary
linguistics, phonetics, typology, and quantitative linguistics, with
strong institutional support from two leading research centres in
Germany and France.