[Lingtyp] Cases of loss of goal markers

Ponrawee Prasertsom ponrawee.pra at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 18:52:40 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I am looking for languages where goal markers (case affixes, prepositions,
etc. corresponding to English *to*) developed into zero, i.e. are lost.
That is, from something like *I go to school *to *I go school. *Does anyone
know of such cases?

Currently, I am aware of only one such case: goal preposition loss on Asia
Minor Greek (Karatsareas and Georgakopoulos 2016), which reconstructs
history from variation among dialects (se > se/∅ > ∅).

Ideally, I would like cases with attested historical data, but
reconstruction or any other relevant data such as ongoing change etc. is
also welcome.

Reference:

Karatsareas, Petros and Thanasis Georgakopoulos. 2016. From syntagmatic to
paradigmatic spatial zeroes: The loss of the preposition se in inner Asia
Minor Greek. STUF - Language Typology and Universals, 69(2), 309-340.

Yours sincerely,

--
Ponrawee Prasertsom

Graduate Student
Department of Linguistics
Faculty of Arts, Chulalongkorn University
Bangkok, Thailand