[Lingtyp] Cases of loss of goal markers

Victor Friedman vfriedm at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 11 21:36:35 UTC 2019

In southwestern Macedonian (and increasingly in colloquial Macedonian in general)
goal & location, which in the standard language are realized by the same preposition (v/vo 'in, to' na 'on/at, onto/to' depending on the noun)
& the preposition can be realzied as Ø
e.g. odam vo Bitola 'I'm going to Bitola' > odam Bitola
and also jas sum vo Tetovo [na teren] 'I'm in Tetovo' [in the field] > Jas sum Tetovo [na teren]
NB teren 'field' as in 'field work', i.e. a place one goes to for professional reasons.

Victor A. Friedman
Andrew W. Mellon Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in the Humanities, University of Chicago
Research Professor, La Trobe University