[Lingtyp] Cases of loss of goal markers

bingfu Lu lubingfu at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 12 05:56:14 UTC 2019

 Thanks David and Randy,It happens that I am reading Animal Farm by George Orwell, and just noticed the following passage:
‘Now, comrades, what is the nature of this life of ours? Let us face it: our lives are miserable, laborious, and short. We are born, we are given just so much food as will keep the breath in our bodies, and those of us who are capable of it are forced to work to the last atom of our strength;  and the very instant that our usefulness has come to an end we are slaughtered with hideous cruelty.

Here, ‘the very instant’ is an adverbial without any case-marking. Cases like this one are everywhere in English.  Many expressions of definite time, including ‘yesterday, today, this year, last year’, can behave this way. In fact, ‘this way’ is also an instance of such a phenomenon.

Since the basic or default function of these expressions are adverbial, why not let them directly serve as adverbials without case-marking. This is an economic and natural way.
Bingfu Lu