[Lingtyp] Cases of loss of goal markers

Frans Plank frans.plank at ling-phil.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 12 13:34:51 UTC 2019

Perhaps “loss” — what Ponrawee was asking about -- should also be taken to include fossilisation, rather than only literal zeroing/omission of segmental marking.  Especially when they are rigid, designations of places, by means of whatever lexical material, have a tendency, often observed at least in Indo-European case languages, to have their local and directional case-marked forms reanalysed as basic forms:

Italian Firenze < Florenti-ae LOC.SG,
French Aix < aqu-is water-ABL.PL
German Buchen < Buch-en beech-DAT.PL
German Neunkirchen < MHG niuw-en kirch-en new-DAT.SG church-DAT.SG

(Toponomasiologists will correct me if I’ve got my examples wrong, and they will provide correct ones galore.)

This may create interesting problems for case-number-gender agreement with such nouns.  But such reanalyses don’t usually entail the omission of adpositional local and directional markers.  There would seem to be some similarity of “functional” motivations, though, between such inflectional reanalyses and adposition omissions — notwithstanding the superficial impression of double rather than zero marking as a result of such reanalysis.  Clearly, synchronically, Fahren wir nach Neunkirchen! ‘Let’s go to Neunkirchen!’ and the like are not double- (or triple-) marked for direction/location.

Frans