[Lingtyp] history of linguistics: phonological word

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Sat Jan 19 22:44:16 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to trace the roots of the development of the concept of
"phonological word". Does anyone know who first used this term? The
earliest I can find is Dixon's (1977) grammar of Yidin. What about
"prosodic word"?

I'm aware that the roots of the idea can be found much earlier than when
the concept was first mentioned, but I'm interested in the implicit analogy
between a morphosyntactic constituency and phonological constituency and
how, when and why that entered linguistics.

Any help would be appreciated.

best,

Adam

--
Adam J.R. Tallman
Investigador del Museo de Etnografía y Folklore, la Paz