[Lingtyp] history of linguistics: phonological word

Alexander B. synru11 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 23:23:57 UTC 2019

Emeneau as early as Emeneau 1947 writes

"From that account I extract the definition of a word for this language.
The phonological unit which is to be described in terms of segmental
consonant and vowel phonemes and of tones, coincides with the basic unit on
which the account of the morphology and the syntax is built up, the
morpheme. For this doubly basic unit I use the term 'word'" (p. 239).

He doesn't use the phrase "phonological word"  in his 1947 paper though;
although he talks about phonologically different words there.

Emeneau, M. B. "Homonyms and Puns in Annamese." *Language*23, no. 3 (1947):
239-44. doi:10.2307/409878. https://www.jstor.org/stable/409878

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 3:12 PM Harald Hammarström <harald at bombo.se> wrote:

> The below is the number of hits for each year for the string "phonological
> word" from a search thru 10000+ grammars. The 1951 hit is from
>
> Emeneau, Murray B. (1951) Studies in Vietnamese (Annamese) grammar
> (University of California Publications in Linguistics 8). Berkeley:
> University of California Press.
>
> 1951 1
> 1955 2
> 1957 15
> 1958 3
> 1959 4
> 1961 2
> 1962 15
> 1963 11
> 1964 11
> 1965 29
> 1966 6
> 1967 9
> 1968 19
> 1969 86
> 1970 35
> 1971 2
> 1972 29
> 1973 19
> 1974 7
> 1975 28
> 1976 13
> 1977 65
> 1978 18
> 1979 7
> 1980 33
> 1981 20
> 1982 33
> 1983 39
> 1984 7
> 1985 46
> 1986 19
> 1987 32
> 1988 23
> 1989 18
> 1990 64
> 1991 24
> 1992 50
> 1993 26
> 1994 28
> 1995 56
> 1996 37
> 1997 34
> 1998 89
> 1999 38
> 2000 56
> 2001 25
> 2002 16
> 2003 99
> 2004 24
> 2005 37
> 2006 28
> 2007 27
> 2008 39
> 2009 26
> 2010 42
> 2011 40
> 2012 32
> 2013 31
> 2014 13
> 2015 24
> 2016 26
> 2017 77
>

> Pada tanggal Sen, 21 Jan 2019 pukul 20.47 Dryer, Matthew <
> dryer at buffalo.edu> menulis:
>
>> The three earliest uses of the expression *phonological word* that I am
>> aware of are in
>>

>> Healey, Alan. (1964) The Ok Language Family in New Guinea. Australian
>> National University doctoral dissertation.

> [...]

Alex