[Lingtyp] words, bound forms, welded forms

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Jan 25 09:27:34 UTC 2019

Nobody has reported an authoritative source for "phonologically bound",
so I will continue to assume that "bound" is best restricted to the
Bloomfield-Zwicky sense.

Adam Tallman is quite right to point out that the idea of phonological
attachment is often linked to the idea of rule domains, specifically
prosodic rules.

To give a concrete example, English "-ity" can be said to be attached
(e.g. in "normal-ity") in the sense that it affects the stress placement
-- it is part of the same stress domain.

By contrast, English "ness" (e.g. in "normal-ness") does not affect
stress, but it also doesn't have its own stress, and hence needs to be
attached to a non-deficient element.

If one thinks like this, then only forms that do not share any
phonological domains with neighbouring forms would be phonologically
unattached -- and if one includes intonational domains, then hardly
anything will be left that is not attached. And as Adam notes, there are
often multiple domains that overlap at most partially, so it is not
possible to define a single coherent "prosodic word" (or "phonological
word/phrase") for each language.

This is why my new term "welded" does not make reference to prosodic
domains, but only considers segmental variability and local
conditioning. (Of course, there will be multiple subtypes.)

It seems to me that this notion of weldedness goes at least some way
toward capturing the old vague idea that some affixes are more "fused"
than others. English and Turkish affixes are clearly more welded overall
than Chinese affixes.

Best,

Martin