[Lingtyp] words, bound forms, welded forms

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Jan 25 10:56:12 UTC 2019

On 25.01.19 11:29, Sebastian Nordhoff wrote:
> On 1/25/19 10:27 AM, Martin Haspelmath wrote:
>> *a welded form is one that shows segmental phonological interaction *with its neighbour.
> I can't help wondering whether "phonologically conditioned allomorphy"
> would not be an existing concept which has identical properties to the
> concept of "welding":
> - there are two or more forms to choose from
> - the choice of form depends on the shape of the "neighbour"
>
> Best wishes
> Sebastian

Yes, a welded bound form would always exhibit "phonologically
conditioned allomorphy", but the latter notion is much broader and not
well-defined. For one thing, the "allomorph" concept depends on the
"morpheme" concept, on which there is no agreement, and much confusion.
For example, are German /-er/ and /-en/ allomorphs of a single {PL}
morpheme? Are English /-ness/ and /-ity/ allomorphs of a single
{ABSTR.NOUN} morpheme? Are French /tomb(-er)/ 'fall' and /chute/ 'fall'
allomorphs of a single {FALL} morpheme?

If one includes such suppletive alternants under "allomorphy" (as almost
everyone does), then one also has phonologically conditioned allomorphs
that are not welded forms according to the proposed definition (because
these must be variants of the same form) (cf. Carstairs 1988 on
"phonologically conditioned suppletion").

For example, Dutch has the plural forms /-s/ and /-en/, which are
distributed according to phonological conditions, and the division of
labour between the English suffixes /-ize/ and /-ify/ (/computer-ize,
French-ify/) is also more phonological than anything else, it seems.
There is no weldedness in Dutch /-s/ or English /-ize/.

I find the notions of "form" and "form variant" (= a form with a
somewhat different shape due to a phonetically natural sound
alternation) much more viable than the traditional "morpheme" and
"allomorph" notions (the confusion of "morpheme" has not improved since
Mugdan's (1986) paper, where he traced the diverse uses of this term
since the 1880s).
Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History