[Lingtyp] the platypus of languages

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Tue Jul 16 14:10:16 UTC 2019

dear Arnold,

> *What the platypus is genetically is an isolate -- roughly comparable to,
say, Basque, rather than to Michif.*
As far as I know, the platypus is not an isolate;  it's a mammal.  Simply,
it forms (together with other monotremes discovered later) the first-order
branch of the class of mammals, with conservative characteristics not
shared by other (phylogenetically more innovative) mammals.

When it was discovered in 1798, the platypus was indeed deemed strange, due
to its duck-like bill (Ornithorhynchus < ὀρνιθόρυγχος), and also the fact
that it would have hair and yet lay eggs.  This forced naturalists to
rethink the category of Mammals, which until then had all combined hair
with viviparity.

So if we wish to push the metaphor and look for an even more exact analogue
in linguistics, then the closest equivalent of a platypus would rather be a
language like Hittite  — or its equivalent in other lg families:  a
first-order branch of a family which has kept certain characteristics (e.g.
consonantal laryngeals…) that all other members have lost.

best
Alex
------------------------------

Alex François