[Lingtyp] grammaticalized v grammaticized

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Tue Jun 11 09:09:17 UTC 2019

The discussion has brought up several distinct meanings that can be
associated with such terms as /grammat(ic(al))ization/. Several of the
concepts involved are doubtless useful in linguistics and would suit
such a term. I would advise against providing different terms for the
concepts ‚synchronic grammaticalization‘ and ‚diachronic
grammaticalization‘. I distinguish between the formation of a concept
and providing a term for it. There is apparently no methodological
principle that would allow or exclude the formation of concepts of just
anything. Certainly it may be useful to distinguish between
‚grammaticalization viewed as manifested in synchrony‘ and
‚grammaticalization viewed as manifested in diachrony‘. However, one has
to keep in mind that synchrony and diachrony are not two different
spheres of the object of linguistics, but two alternate perspectives on
one object. Thus, there are no such things as ‚synchronic
grammaticalization‘ as a process distinct from ‚diachronic
grammaticalization‘. The same is true of countless other linguistic
processes. Nobody has yet proposed to distinguish between synchronic and
diachronic assimilation, synchronic and diachronic diphthongation,
synchronic and diachronic univerbation, synchronic and diachronic
metaphora and so on ad nauseam. Descriptive and historical grammarians
have simply assumed that there is, in each of these cases, only one such
process which manifests itself in the perspective taken by them; and
rightly so.

So again, one may, of course, view grammaticalization either in a
synchronic or in a diachronic perspective. It is, however,
methodologically dangerous to provide different terms for such
constructs, because a construct provided with a (handy) term has a
strong tendency to be hypostatized to an entity existing independently
of our approach. Witness the countless definitions found in the
literature according to which grammaticalization is allegedly a
diachronic (or even worse, a historical) process. Sorry for sounding
dogmatic about this; but our theory is going to make progress only if we
get the methodology right.

Positive balance: Let’s reserve the variants of /grammat(ic(al))ization/
for some of the other concepts brought up in the discussion.

--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4

Tel.: 	+49/361/2113417