[Lingtyp] Query on sentential names/Satznamen

Iker Salaberri ikersalaberri at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 09:52:18 UTC 2019

 Dear colleagues, dear fellow typologists,

I'm currently looking for cross-linguistic data on a specific kind of name:
sentential names (SNs), a.k.a. clausal names, phrasal names and (in their
widespread German use) *Satznamen*. van Langendonck (2007: 277-278) defines
SNs as names consisting (minimally) of a verbal stem and a noun phrase (NP)
or an adverb, where the NP is either the direct object or the subject of
the verb stem. Here are some examples of SNs I have found so far:

(1) Shona (East Bantu): *Chaitamwarihachirambwi *'What God has done cannot
be rejected', from *mwari *'God' and the verb root -*it *'to do' (Mapara
2013: 103)

(2) Basque (Language isolate): *Euridakargaina *'The summit which brings
rain', from *euri *'rain' and the verb root -*kar *'to bring' (Salaberri
2008: 733)

(3) Warrongo (Pama-Nyungan): *Galonggo balban banggarra* '(The place where)
mice rolled blue tongue lizard', from *galo *'mouse' and *balba *'to roll'
(Tsunoda 2011: 22)

(4) Northwest Sahaptin (Sahaptian): *Xátkapsha *'Leans unexpectedly', from
*tkap* 'to lean' and *xa*- 'unexpectedly' (Hunn 1996: 14)

(5) Mandarin (Sino-Tibetan): *Chuán-wén* '(The one who) transmits culture',
from *chuán *'to transmit' and *wén *'culture' (Wiedenhof 2015: 92) (sorry
if the tone markers are inaccurate)

(6) Eastern Apurímac Quechua (Quechuan): *Waqcha kuyaq* '(The one who)
esteems the poor', from *waqcha *'poor' and *kuya*- 'to esteem' (Fonseca
2012: 98)

(7) German (Indo-European): *Hassdenpflug *'Hate the plow', from *hassen *'to
hate' and *Pflug *'plow/plough' (Heintze 1908: 160)

I'm writing to ask for your help in tracking down more instances of this
kind of name: I have found so far that SNs are common in (subsaharan)
Africa, North America and Europe, in decreasing order, and far less common
in Asia, Oceania and South America. That is why I would be extremely
grateful for any information on SNs in languages from Asia, Oceania and
South America. I would be very grateful for any pointers to grammars,
language descriptions or other mentions of SNs in the literature.