[Lingtyp] A "Swadesh List" of Ideophone semantic categories

Joo Ian ian.joo at outlook.com
Tue Mar 19 08:19:35 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I am currently trying to make a list of semantic categories of ideophones, in order to do a cross-linguistic comparison (for example, do ideophones whose meanings are related to brightness show similarity across different languages?)

Here’s my list so far, created out of my intuition and previous literature.
I wonder if you have any meanings that you would like to add to or remove from the list.
The goal is to make a list of ideophone meanings so that most languages that have a sizeable ideophone inventory would have at least several ideophones that belong to each category.

Semantic Categories

Air

Anxiety

Bright

Clean

Clear-cut/Vivid

Crying

Dirty/Messy

Dry

Eating/Drinking

Fast

Flow

Friction

Hitting/Beating

Hungry/Thirsty

Laughter

Looking

Plenty

Ringing

Ripping/Cutting

Romantic

Rotation

Rough

Rupture

Scattering

Secretly

Shaking/Vibration

Slow/Lazy

Soft

Solid

Speaking

Stop

Walking/Running

Wet

I would appreciate any comments or advices.

>From Seoul,
Ian