[Lingtyp] A "Swadesh List" of Ideophone semantic categories

Guillaume Segerer guillaume.segerer at cnrs.fr
Tue Mar 19 09:32:18 UTC 2019

Dear Ian

I manage a very large lexical database on African languages
(www.reflex.cnrs.fr), and I also need to encode the meaning of
ideophones. The principle I use is to have more abstract categories (as
compared to your list). So far, my own list is very useful and not far
from complete (i.e. it is not often the case that I don't know how to
encode a particular ideophone). Here is my list :

action
emotion
movement
quantity
(visual) aspect
state
smell
reaction
attitude
shape
speech
relation
noise/sound
taste
phenomenon
rythm
contact
liquid
position
sensation/feeling
color
light
proportion
temperature
motion
modality
quality
time

Hope it will help

Guillaume Segerer

Le 19/03/2019 à 09:19, Joo Ian a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> I am currently trying to make a list of semantic categories of
> ideophones, in order to do a cross-linguistic comparison (for example,
> do ideophones whose meanings are related to brightness show similarity
> across different languages?)
>
> Here’s my list so far, created out of my intuition and previous
> literature.
>
> I wonder if you have any meanings that you would like to add to or
> remove from the list.
>
> The goal is to make a list of ideophone meanings so that most
> languages that have a sizeable ideophone inventory would have at least
> several ideophones that belong to each category.
>
> *Semantic Categories*
>
> Air
>
> Anxiety
>
> Bright
>
> Clean
>
> Clear-cut/Vivid
>
> Crying
>
> Dirty/Messy
>
> Dry
>
> Eating/Drinking
>
> Fast
>
> Flow
>
> Friction
>
> Hitting/Beating
>
> Hungry/Thirsty
>
> Laughter
>
> Looking
>
> Plenty
>
> Ringing
>
> Ripping/Cutting
>
> Romantic
>
> Rotation
>
> Rough
>
> Rupture
>
> Scattering
>
> Secretly
>
> Shaking/Vibration
>
> Slow/Lazy
>
> Soft
>
> Solid
>
> Speaking
>
> Stop
>
> Walking/Running
>
> Wet
>
> I would appreciate any comments or advices.
>
> From Seoul,
>
> Ian

Guillaume Segerer
/LLACAN UMR 8135 - CNRS INALCO/