[Lingtyp] A "Swadesh List" of Ideophone semantic categories

Edith A Moravcsik edith at uwm.edu
Sat Mar 23 01:15:17 UTC 2019

Martin is right: an observation about what is found in one language does not amount to a generalization: it is just an existential statement.

What is interesting, however, is that such a statement still manages to say something about language in general. It does not say that all languages HAVE a particular characteristic and not even that all languages are LIKELY TO HAVE a particular characteristic; but it does imply – as Martin said - that it is POSSIBLE that the observed characteristic occurs in other languages as well. If it is true that Lithuanian has ideophones, this means that having ideophones is compatible with “languagehood”: there is nothing about the general concept of language that excludes the existence of ideophones.

We use this kind of illogical but intuitively reasonable argument in everyday life: if it has happened once, it is possible that it will happen again. If I am mistreated in a store, I may be reluctant to return to that store thinking that I might encounter the same problem. Another example is that of the shoe bomber. Before that infamous individual decided to carry a bomb aboard on a plane in his shoes, this situation may have appeared to be beyond the realm of what a human mind might come up with; but ever since this happened once, air travelers in the US have been asked to take off their shoes at airport security points for checking.

While statements about ONE language having a particular property opens up the possibility that other languages might also have it, when SEVERAL  languages have been observed to have that property, we are progressing from possibility to probability. This is pointed out in Mark Dingemanse’s message and is illustrated by his examples.

All in all, an observation about a single language does not provide certainty about other languages have the same property and it does not even provide a probability; but it implies the possibility that we find the same in other languages. Whether this possibility does or does not become reality will depend on the specifics of particular languages.

Edith Moravcsik