[Lingtyp] ALT: Adding tags to posts and Lingtyp list digest option

Good, Jeff jcgood at buffalo.edu
Thu Mar 28 20:42:27 UTC 2019

Dear all,

I’m writing now in my capacity as President of the Association for Linguistic Typology (ALT). As many of you probably know, this list serves as a general open discussion forum for matters related to the study of typology as well as the official point of dissemination for information of relevance to ALT.

At times, this list can generate relatively high traffic, and the ALT officers are aware of how this can be distracting for those of you who already receive a high volume of email. To help address this, we’d like to make a proposal regarding subject lines for messages to the list and also point out the possibility of subscribing to the list in digest form.

Regarding subject lines, we’d like to recommend that, moving forward, posts to the list begin their subject with a tag indicating the kind of content contained in the message. Here is a list of suggested tags:

ALT: For official ALT business
Job: For job announcements
Support: For announcements of non-job funding support (e.g., PhD funding)
Query: For questions about the typological features of the world’s languages
Call: For calls for papers
Conference(/Workshop): To announce upcoming events
FYI: For informational announcements not fitting into the above categories

These categories are not meant to be prescriptive or exhaustive, and people should feel free to use others if they think they are more appropriate. It's important to note that ALT will not be enforcing use of these tags. We simply hope that people will be interested in using them voluntarily and that they will be helpful. If so, we imagine that the tag set and their usage will evolve to fit the needs of the typological community over time.

In addition, I’d like to point out that there is the possibility of subscribing to ALT in digest form, where you receive a summary of posts to the list around once a day, since this might be a good option for many of you. If you would like to change your subscription to the digest form, you can opt in by going to http://listserv.linguistlist.org/mailman/listinfo/lingtyp. You can then fill in the email address of yours that is registered with Lingtyp in the last field at the bottom of the page under the heading: “To unsubscribe from Lingtyp, get a password reminder, or change your subscription options enter your subscription email address”. After that, you can log in with your password (or send yourself a password reminder). Once you enter your password, you will be taken to a settings page where you can set the digest mode associated with your email.

Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Best,
Jeff