[Lingtyp] Lingtyp Digest, Vol 54, Issue 24

Joo Ian ian.joo at outlook.com
Fri Mar 29 16:47:30 UTC 2019

Dear David,

Yes, the “indigenous” language featured in the film is solely constructed for the film. And the film plot does indeed have some fantasy-like features in it. But overall, I would say that the film left me many thoughts on fieldwork (e. g. the relationship between the linguist and the native speakers), language endangerment (e. g. the experience of the last speakers of a dying language), and human language in general. Although I haven’t watched Avatar yet, I would imagine that this film is has a more “realistic” background than Avatar.

Regards,
Ian