[Lingtyp] Query: looking for singulatives

Jorge Rosés Labrada jrosesla at ualberta.ca
Tue May 14 14:00:32 UTC 2019

Dear Silva,

I see that you have included Bora, Miraña, and Tariana in your list. I
imagine you've included them because of the "individualizing" function of
certain classifiers which turn a generic noun into a singular noun (e.g.
Mako [ISO: wpc] *luwa *'guama (a tree of the *Inga* genus)' vs. luwa-*ˀbo *'one
guama fruit'). If so, other Northwest Amazonian languages with nominal
classification systems similar to those of Bora, Miraña and Tariana (an
areal feature) could possibly also be included in the list.

For Mako, you can see a discussion in my dissertation (Rosés Labrada,
2015); for Piaroa (its sister language), you can see Krute (1989). I'd
suggest looking at grammars of Tukanoan languages for additional instances
of this type.

Best,
Jorge
Krute, Laurence Dana. 1989. *Piaroa nominal morphosemantics.* PhD
dissertation, Columbia University.

Rosés Labrada, Jorge Emilio. 2015a. *The Mako language: Vitality, grammar
and classification*. PhD dissertation, University of Western Ontario and
Université Lumière-Lyon 2. URL: https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/etd/2851/

-------------
Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada
Assistant Professor, Indigenous Language Sustainability
Chair, LSA Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation
<https://www.linguisticsociety.org/about/who-we-are/committees/endangered-languages-and-their-preservation-celp>

4-22 Assiniboia Hall
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta
Tel: (+1) 780-492-5698
Email: jrosesla at ualberta.ca

*The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6
territory, **and respects the history, languages, and cultures of the First
Nations, Métis, Inuit, *
*and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our
institution.*