[Lingtyp] Query: looking for singulatives

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu May 16 10:39:27 UTC 2019

Dear Daniel et al,

The usages of the Chitimacha form that you cite would seem, on the face
of it, to be more typical of a restrictive focus operator than a
singulative.

These two alternatives may perhaps be distinguished by testing for
upward entailment.  Consider the following two English sentences:

(1) John ate an apple

(2) John ate just one apple

Given a state of affairs in which John ate two apples, sentence (1),
with the singular noun, is pragmatically infelicitous but not false; it
is the truth but not the whole truth.  Such NPs, which include singular
as well as numerically quantified nouns, are accordingly characterized
as "increasing" or "upward entailing". In contrast, sentence (2), with
the restrictive focus operator "just", is false.

Now I don't know for sure how NPs headed by a singulative-marked noun
behave — can anybody reading this who knows chip in here? — but I would
hazard a guess that they are also increasing / upward entailing.  If
indeed this is the case, then testing for upward entailments would make
it possible to distinguish between singulative and restrictive focus
analyses of the Chitimacha form.  Guessing again, I strongly suspect
(from the glosses provided) that the NPs in question are not upward
entailing, and hence that the form in question is in fact a restrictive
focus operator.

David

On 16/05/2019 11:52, Daniel W. Hieber wrote:

> Dear Silva,
>
> There is an enclitic in Chitimacha (isolate; Louisiana) which may be
> of interest, although it's not entirely clear whether it would fall
> under your definition of a singulative. I think it would be worth
> considering whether examples of this type belong under the category of
> singulative as well, and if not, what distinguishes them from
> singulatives.
>
> Swadesh (1939a: 131-132) states that the suffix /‑(n)kʼiš/ may mean:
>
> 1.'no one, nothing else'; 'only, just'
>
> 2.(with pronouns) 'alone, unaccompanied, unaided'
>
> 3.(with numerals) enumerated, individuated
>
> With the exception of a handful of animate nouns, Chitimacha does not
> otherwise distinguish singular and plural nouns.
>
> Some examples of each of the functions in use:
>
> 1.
>
> ʔiš=kʼiš
>

> we
>

> šaː
>

> niši
>

> kaːkw-iki-n
>
> 1SG=SING
>

> DET
>

> mouth
>

> speech
>

> know-1SG.AGT-CONT
>
> I am the only one who knows the language (Swadesh 1939b: A10j.5)
>
> 2.
>
> hus=kʼiš
>

> hiː
>

> kap
>

> paːkini-ːkʼ
>
> 3SG=SING
>

> COP
>

> STAT
>

> be.tired-SS
>
> tired of being alone (Swadesh 1939b: A12a.5)
>
> 3.
>
> kič=kʼiš
>

> meša-nk
>

> waːč-mi-ːkʼ
>
> woman(PL)=SING
>

> four-ABS
>

> marry-PLACT-SS
>
> he had married four women (Swadesh 1939b: A37b.1)
>
> *References*
>
> ·Swadesh, Morris. 1939a. Chitimacha grammar. In /Chitimacha grammar,
> texts, and vocabulary/ (American Council of Learned Societies
> Committee on Native American Languages Mss.497.3.B63c G6.5).
> Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society Library.
>
> ·Swadesh, Morris. 1939b. Chitimacha texts. In /Chitimacha grammar,
> texts, and vocabulary/ (American Council of Learned Societies
> Committee on Native American Languages Mss.497.3.B63c G6.5).
> Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society Library.
>
> Daniel W. Hieber
>
> Ph.D. Candidate in Linguistics
>
> University of California, Santa Barbara
>
> danielhieber.com <https://danielhieber.com>

David Gil

Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Office Phone (Germany): +49-3641686834
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81281162816