[Lingtyp] Loss of tone

Rikker Dockum rikker.dockum at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 13:30:05 UTC 2019

Hi Randy,

Right you are, thanks for the correction! I had misremembered. Since
Matisoff used “tonogenesis” in a couple of papers before 1973, as early as
1970 if memory serves, he is a likely candidate and known word coiner,
though in any case, “tonogenesis” and “tonoexodus” form a clever pair.

I’ve sometimes lamented that we don’t have a similar term for “tone change”
that refers specifically to diachronic change within established tone
systems, but it’s probably unnecessary. Or perhaps just that everything I
brainstormed sounded terrible!

That entire 1973 volume is available here:
https://dornsife.usc.edu/assets/sites/56/docs/SCOPIL1-consonant_types_and_tone.pdf

Best,
Rikker