[Lingtyp] passive and tense

Pier Marco Bertinetto piermarco.bertinetto at sns.it
Fri Nov 8 19:21:15 UTC 2019

Same as with Peter. I sometimes only receive messages that answer previous
ones (that I did not get).
Pier Marco

Il giorno ven 8 nov 2019 alle ore 20:13 Peter Arkadiev <
peterarkadiev at yandex.ru> ha scritto:

> I'm wondering why I haven't got Sergey's original message... And this is
> not the first time I only see the replies to a posting on this list without
> receiving the original.
> To Sergey's question, Emma Geniušienė reports that in the Lithuanian texts
> she has analysed, the passive is more than two times more frequently used
> in the *present* tense than in the past, see "Passive Constructions in
> Lithuanian" (Benjamins, 2016), p. 141.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Peter
>
> --
> Peter Arkadiev, PhD
> Institute of Slavic Studies
> Russian Academy of Sciences
> Leninsky prospekt 32-A 119991 Moscow
> peterarkadiev at yandex.ru
> http://inslav.ru/people/arkadev-petr-mihaylovich-peter-arkadiev
>

> 08.11.2019, 20:33, "Haspelmath, Martin" <haspelmath at shh.mpg.de>:
> > Yes, I found this discussed by Comrie in 1981, and discussed it myself
> in 1994:
> >
> > Comrie, Bernard. 1981. Aspect and voice: Some reflections on perfect and
> passive. In Philip J. Tedeschi & Annie Zaenen (eds.), Tense and aspect
> (Syntax and Semantics 14), 65–78. New York: Academic Press.
> > Haspelmath, Martin. 1994. Passive participles across languages. In
> Barbara Fox & Paul J. Hopper (eds.), Voice: Form and function (Typological
> Studies in Language), 151–177. Amsterdam: Benjamins.
> doi:10.1075/tsl.27.08has. (https://zenodo.org/record/227097)
> >
> > But there must be more recent work about this as well.
> >
> > Best,
> > Martin
> >
> > On 08.11.19 18:19, Sergey Lyosov wrote:
> >>  Dear colleagues
> >>
> >> Working with corpora of certain Semitic languages, I noticed that
> passive verb forms are much more frequent in the past tenses than in
> present and future tenses. This is also my impression of various languages
> with which I am familiar but have not studied their verbal systems. Does
> such cross-linguistic feature exist? If yes, how do we explain it?
> >>
> >> Best wishes,
> >>
> >> Sergey
> >
> > -- Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de) Max Planck Institute for
> the Science of Human History Kahlaische Strasse 10 D-07745 Jena   & Leipzig
> University Institut fuer Anglistik IPF 141199 D-04081 Leipzig
> > ,

     nuovo numero di telefono
             ------            Linguistica Generale
            ///////          Scuola Normale Superiore
           -------	       p.za dei Cavalieri 7
          ///////    	           I-56126 PISA
         -------              fax:   +39/050/563513
        ///////               phone: +39/050/509111
       -------                        HOME
      ///////                   via Matteotti  197
     -------                   I-55049 Viareggio LU
    ///////                   phone:  +39/0584/*652417*
   -------                    cell.:  +39/368/3830251

         "ELiTe (Experimental Linguistics Team"
            <http://smart.sns.it/?pag=elite>
"Laboratorio di Linguistica" <http://linguistica.sns.it>