[Lingtyp] FW: Plural markers on (already) plural pronouns

Denis CREISSELS denis.creissels at univ-lyon2.fr
Sat Nov 16 14:08:36 UTC 2019

In Mandinka (Mande), the plural marker of nouns is –lú, and personal pronouns have two forms, non-emphatic and emphatic. The non-emphatic forms are ŋ́ (1SG), í (2SG), à (3SG), ŋ̀ (1PL), álí (2PL) and ì (3PL). In the singular, the emphatic marker ‑te is simply added to the non-emphatic form (ń-tè, í-tè, à-té), but in the plural, the emphatic marker must be followed by the plural marker ‑lú (ǹ-tè-lú, álí-tè-lú, ì-tè-lú), in spite of the fact that the first formative is already unambiguously plural.

Best wishes,

Denis