[Lingtyp] Plural markers on (already) plural pronouns

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at univie.ac.at
Sat Nov 16 14:21:13 UTC 2019

The Hungarian case is a bit different: the -nk element in "mink" ‘we’ is, as Edith writes, a possessor or subject-person 1PL marker. But the use of general common-noun plural markers on plural pronouns actually does occur in some Uralic languages (and also independently of contacts with Turkic). In quite a few Finnic varieties, we have nominative plural markers (Proto-Finnic -t or its reflexes) on the plural personal (and sometimes also demonstrative) pronouns, as in Far North Finnish dialects (also Kven and Meänkieli) met, tet, het ‘we, you.PL, they’ (~ Standard Finnish me, te, he). In the inflection of Finnic plural pronouns, the plural element occurs regularly, as in Standard Finnish me-i-lle we-PL-ADESSIVE ‘to us’ (cf. talo-i-lle ‘to the houses’). Komi dialects have (as opposed to Standard Komi najö ‘they’) also ‘they’ pronouns carrying the regular (a Permic innovation) plural marker -jas: najöjas or najas ‘they’.

And, in fact, coming back to Hungarian, it regularly builds the plural forms of third-person and demonstrative pronouns with the general common-noun plural marker -k: ők ‘they’ (ő ‘s/he’), eze-k ‘these’ (ez ‘this’), azo-k ‘those’ (az ‘that’).

Best
Johanna

--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)