[Lingtyp] Differential inalienable marking

Alex Francois francois at vjf.cnrs.fr
Thu Oct 10 01:25:15 UTC 2019

dear Laura

Thanks for an interesting query.

*Teanu*, one of the 3 languages of Vanikoro (Temotu province, Solomon
Islands; 800sp.), is unusual among Oceanic languages, in having lost all
bound morphology — specifically, possessive suffixes. And yet, it has
preserved the essential principles of Oceanic possessive systems, in
distinguishing:

(D) direct possession [*Pss-d Pss-or*]   for some inalienable relations

   1. body parts
   2. several bivalent nouns like “name of”, “inside of…”
   3. [*lexically determined*] some nouns referring to clothes &  intimate
   property

(I) indirect possession [*Pss-d Lnk Pss-or*]  with 4 *distinct* linkers for:

   1. {Lnk = /*ma*/} "drink" possession ; +  [*lexically determined*]
   'breast, chest (of man/woman)'
   2. {Lnk = /*we*/} "eat/tool" possession:  food + tools + language
   3. {Lnk = /*ie*/, 1sg = /*one*/} most kinship terms
   4. {Lnk = /*ie*/, 1sg = /*enone*/} default possession:  most possessed
   items (incl. clothes), economic property, etc.; some kin terms…

Some examples follow:

(D1)  noma   Bakap

      face    (name)

        'Bakap's face'  [Bakap = a male name]

(D1’) noma   ene

      face    Pron:1sg

        'my face'

(D2)  kie    Bakap

      hole    (name)

       'Bakap's grave'

(D3)  lusa   Bakap

      shirt   (name)

        'Bakap's shirt'

(D3’) lusa   ene

      shirt   Pron:1sg

        'my shirt'

(I1)  ero       *me*    Bakap

      water/milk DRINK  (name)

        'Bakap's (drinking) water/milk'

(I1’) ero       *me*    Bakap

      water/milk DRINK  (name)

        'Bakap's chest'

(I2)  buioe    *we*        Bakap

      areca     FOOD/TOOL  (name)

        'Bakap's areca nuts (to chew)'

(I2’) kompiuta  *we*       Bakap

      computer   FOOD/TOOL  (name)

        'Bakap's computer'

(I2”) piene  *we*       Bakap

      words   FOOD/TOOL  (name)

        'Bakap's language'

(I3)  et’     *ie*   Bakap

      mother   KIN  (name)

        'Bakap's mother'

(I3’) et’     *one*

      mother   KIN:1sg

        'my mother'

(I4a)  mwoe   *ie*       Bakap

       house   GEN.POSS  (name)

        'Bakap's house'

(I4a’) mwoe   *enone*

       house   GEN.POSS:1sg

        'my house'

(I4b)  piene  *ie*       Bakap

       words   GEN.POSS  (name)

        'Bakap's speech'

(I4b’) piene  *enone*

       words   GEN.POSS:1sg

        'my speech'

(I4c)  emele  *ie*       Bakap

       woman   GEN.POSS   (name)

        'Bakap's wife'

(I4c’) emele  *enone*

       woman   GEN.POSS:1sg

        'my wife'

Note that I am avoiding to use the term "inalienable" here, because it is
unclear to me whether it is supposed to refer to a universal category
(semantic? formal?).  In this case, Teanu distinguishes formally between
'his mother' and 'his wife', a contrast which could be described as
(semantically) inalienable vs. alienable, yet it does so within the (emic)
category of "indirect possession", which is often equated in the (Oceanic)
literature with "alienable".
All in all I can't really say that the two concepts "inalienable" vs.
"alienable" define any clearcut formal contrast in this language.  As you
see in these examples show, the alienability opposition rather cuts through
several formal categories. — compare (D1) vs. (D3), or (I1) vs. (I1'), etc.

best
Alex
------------------------------

Alex François