[Lingtyp] languages without word level stress

TALLMAN Adam Adam.TALLMAN at cnrs.fr
Thu Oct 17 13:44:35 UTC 2019

Hey all,

This is just a query for sources.

I'm looking for languages that have been explicitly described as having no word-level stress. I was under the impression that this was fairly common, but apparently the existence of such languages (e.g. French) is controversial [?].

To be clear, I mean stress in Hyman's sense of a single culminative and obligatory marking of prominence.

(After that, I'm wondering whether there have been cases of languages that are described as containing neither word-level nor phrase-level stress in the same sense).

best,

Adam

Adam James Ross Tallman (PhD, UT Austin)
ELDP-SOAS -- Postdoctorante
CNRS -- Dynamique Du Langage (UMR 5596)
Bureau 207, 14 av. Berthelot, Lyon (07)
Numero celular en bolivia: +59163116867