[Lingtyp] Typographical means to signal gender inclusiveness

Mattis List mattis.list at lingpy.org
Thu Oct 24 10:46:23 UTC 2019

Note that the Chinese distinction between genders is not in the
language, only in writing, superimposed on the system by Western
traditions, with the character for "she" being coined only recently (if
I remember properly, around early 20th century). No dialect of Chinese,
as far as I saw it so far, has two distinct pronouns for he and she.