[Lingtyp] orthography in formatted examples

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Fri Apr 3 17:36:45 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

I initiated the thread with the above topic more than a week ago, and
the discussion has long petered out. I thank everybody who took part in
it. I had intended to summarize the discussion in a concluding post to
this thread. However, and this is why it took me so long, I tried to
integrate all of the observations and suggestions in a set of webpages
devoted to the problem of linguistic representations. Small surprise,
this was not feasible in two days. Those who are interested in the
product may have a look at

https://christianlehmann.eu/ling/ling_meth/ling_description/representations/index.php?open=orthograph_examples.inc

Several among you will find their observations integrated there. Any
kind of criticism or enhancement will be highly welcome.

Just a remark on Peter's contribution: I fully back your observation
that we need some basic agreements on several aspects of linguistic
methodology. It is of the utmost importance that science be free. But
free does not mean arbitrary. Science also needs quality standards.
Methodology, especially its „lower levels“ like representation of
linguistic data, is susceptible of standardization without any prejudice
to freedom of science. On the contrary, it would free researchers from
routine problems andcontribute to objectivizing procedures and results
of scientific work.

Best,

Christian

--