[Lingtyp] Subject-verb inversion with transitive verbs

Haspelmath, Martin haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Apr 14 12:48:14 UTC 2020

Since (impressionistically) right dislocation seems to be common in the
world's languages, we first need a cross-linguistically valid definition
(= a comparative concept) of "right dislocation".

In Ellison's examples, there is a comma before the postverbal subject
nominal, and in many languages, there seems to be an obligatory
"prosodic break" in such sentences. I'm not sure how such "breaks" can
be identified across languages, but it seems that this would be
necessary before we can have a cross-linguistically valid notion of
"right dislocation".

Once we have this, we can have a comparative concept of "SV/VS
flexibility" (the term "S-V inversion" is not felicitous, as Christian
Lehmann pointed out). It seems difficult, but hopefully it is not
impossible.

Best,
Martin

On 14.04.20 14:28, Ellison Luk wrote:
> Dear Ernei,
>
> One question that I had about your examples is whether or not you are also counting right dislocation phenomena under your definition of "inversion". I assume you are since you include the Japanese example, which would be described more as an example of (right) dislocation (Kohji 2018), since Tarō-ga would be post-verbal, in the right periphery. If you are, then (Mandarin) Chinese would actually also allow such 'inversion' phenomena, given that right dislocation is amply attested in colloquial/spoken varieties of both Mandarin and Cantonese (to name two). From the following examples, you can see that the transitive subject can be extracted "over" the verb and transitive object (in my intuition, the commas shouldn't represent necessary prosodic breaks). If you would allow these examples then, Cantonese and Mandarin (and probably many other Sinitic languages) would seem to satisfy your category of "no case or agreement, inversion in transitive clauses possible". Of course, these are subject to restrictions, but again, so would the case be for Japanese and other languages you are investigating.
>
> Mandarin
> 踩我的腳了,你
> cai3 wo3 jiao3 le, ni3.
> step I foot PEFT you
> "(You) stepped on my foot, you." (Guo 1999: 1107)
>
> Cantonese
> 唔 拎 把 遮 喇,我
> mm4 ling1 ba2 ze1 la3, ngo2
> not bring CL umbrella SFP , I
> "I am not bringing the umbrella." (Lai et al 2017)
>
> Cantonese
> 會買一部電腦囉,佢
> wui2 maai2 jat1 bou5 din6nou5 lo1, keoi2
> will buy one CL computer SFP, he
> "He will buy a computer." (Cheung 2009, cited in Lee 2013: 16)
>
> Guo, Jian Sheng (1999). 'From information to emotion: The affective function of right dislocation in Mandarin Chinese'. Journal of Pragmatics, 31: 1103–1128.
> Cheung, Lawrence Yam-Leung (2009). 'Dislocation focus construction in Chinese.' Journal of East Asian Linguistics, 18: 197-232.
> Kamada, Kohji (2018). Rightward movement phenomena in linguistics. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle on Tyne, UK.
> Lai, Christy Choi-Tin, Law, Sam-Po, & Kong, Anthony Pak-Hin (2017). 'A Quantitative Study of Right Dislocation in Cantonese Spoken Discourse.' Language and speech, 60(4): 633–642.
> Lee, Kent (2013). 'Right dislocation in Chinese: Interface of syntax and information structure.' Korean Journal of Chinese Language and Literature, 55: 3-50.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Ellison Kingman Luk
>
> ---
>
> Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 22:22:30 +0900
> From: Ernei Ribeiro <ernei8299 at gmail.com>
> To: lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org
> Subject: [Lingtyp] Subject-verb inversion with transitive verbs
>
> Dear all,

> [...]

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10
D-07745 Jena
&
Leipzig University