[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

Eitan Grossman eitan.grossman at mail.huji.ac.il
Thu Aug 20 05:22:32 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Modern Hebrew also has this phenomenon, e.g., *mami* or *mama* ('mom') and
*abuya* ('my father'). Its sources seem to be both Maghrebi Judeo-Arabic
and Palestinian Arabic, but it also makes sense that it might also come
from Kurdish via Neo-Aramaic. Interestingly, a common term is* aba-le*
(father-DIM), which takes a Yiddish-origin diminutive suffix on an
Aramaic-origin noun, while the very use of the 'father' term for a child is
patterned on Arabic.

In Beduin Arabic of the Negev, these reversed kin terms are extremely
extensive and seem to apply to pretty much any kin relationship. Henkin has
written about this a lot, e.g., Ch 10 of her 2010. Negev Arabic: Dialectal,
Sociolinguistic, and Stylistic Variation. Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz.
It's also worth checking out her work on cursing, which can involve what
looks like 'self-cursing' due to the kinship term reversal.

Eitan

Eitan Grossman
Associate Professor, Department of Linguistics
Chair, Department of Linguistics
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Tel: +972 2 588 3809
Fax: +972 2 588 1224