[Lingtyp] 'Take' as diachronic source for causative? 'Stand' for ingressive?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Thu Aug 20 10:53:30 UTC 2020

Dear Claudia,

A complex pattern of polysemy involving, among many other items, 'take'
and causative, is described in Gil (2017) for several languages of
Northwest New Guinea, Austronesian and Non-Austronesian.A possible
example of partial 'take'/causative coexpression is provided by the
isolate language Yawa.More commonly, though, the 'take'/causative
connection is mediated by 'give', with lots of languages exhibiting
'take'/'give' coexpression (e.g. Hatam, Meyah, Irarutu), and many other
languages in the same region (e.g. Abun, Waropen, Roon) displaying
'give'/causative coexpression.

Gil, David (2017) "Roon ve, DO/GIVE Coexpression, and Language Contact
in Northwest New Guinea", in A. Schapper ed., /Contact and Substrate in
the Languages of Wallacea Part 1/, /NUSA/ 62:41-100.
(http://hdl.handle.net/10108/89844)

Best,

David

On 18/08/2020 15:06, Claudia Wegener wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> It was suggested to me that grammaticalization of the verb 'take' to a
> causative marker is typologically unusual, and indeed, apart from the
> mention of Twi and Nupe (in Kuteva et al. 2019 and sources cited
> therein) and Fon (Lefebvre 1991) I have found little to no information
> on languages where this has happened... Would any of you know any
> other languages and could point me towards publications I could cite?
>
> And related to this, I have been even less successful at finding
> languages where the verb for 'to stand' (as posture verb) has been
> grammaticalized to function as a marker for ingressive - if you know
> of any, would you be so kind to point me to any publications?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Claudia

> Lefebvre, Claire. 1991. /Take/ serial verb constructions in Fon. In
> Claire Lefebvre (ed.), /Serial Verbs: Grammatical, Comparative/ /and
> Cognitive Approaches/, 37-78. Amsterdam, Philadelphia: Benjamins.
>
> Kuteva, Tania, Bernd Heine, Bo Hong, Haiping Long, Heiko Narrog &
> Seongha Rhee (eds.). 2019. /World Lexicon of Grammaticalization/, 2nd
> edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
>
> --
> Claudia Wegener
> Abteilung Allgemeine Sprachwissenschaft
> Institut für Linguistik
> Universität zu Köln
> Albertus-Magnus-Platz
> 50923 Köln

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091