[Lingtyp] 'Take' as diachronic source for causative? 'Stand' for ingressive?

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 15:37:07 UTC 2020

Hi Claudia,

Yes, I agree with your impressions that these functions are rare. I imagine
they're connected to a broad network of related grammaticalization
pathways, but those particular developments don't seem very common.

Regarding posture STAND (vs. change-of-position STAND), the much more
typical development is as a marker of continuous activity (if fully
semantically bleached, progressive/imperfective/durative aspect). (Does
Savosavo have distinct verbs for posture vs. change-of-position?) The only
related observation that comes to mind is that perhaps it has something to
do with taking a behavioral position and holding it. That is, "steadfast"
perhaps in a somewhat defiant way. That seems to be the explanation (if I'm
interpreting it correctly) for a number of South Asian languages (at least
Indo-Aryan and Dravidian, I believe) where SIT has become a marker of
defiant or unexpected/undesirable action (in the misleadingly so-called
"compound verb" constructions), and I think that may be more of a
continuous posture verb than change-of-posture verb, but I'm not certain.

Causative SVCs with TAKE are briefly mentioned in Lovestrand (2018:45),
with reference to Yoruba, so that might be helpful.
https://ora.ox.ac.uk/objects/uuid:39406562-02d3-46f5-abf3-180d22225925

Since I haven't been looking for the functions you describe specifically,
there are of course likely to be more examples out there, but I think it's
safe to say they're not common or typical for these sorts of developments
for SVCs. Thanks for sharing the interesting data.

By the way, English actually has a sort of causative construction with
TAKE: "I took him to eat" , or sometimes with a passive (either BE or GET)
as in "I took him to get inspected". I imagine this usage develops
naturally out of the transfer sense of TAKE (also common in SVCs), so maybe
that's related to what you're describing. It's not a typical pattern I've
seen described for TAKE SVCs, but I'd be a little cautious interpreting
that because my impression is that a lot of research on SVCs (including but
to a lesser degree even in descriptive grammars) is biased by semantic
expectations (see the previously linked slides). Certain "typical" semantic
types of SVCs are very likely to be reported, while other possible variants
may not be mentioned, so it's hard to know if there is or is not any more
variation among the possible semantic types than what is reported in a
typical paper or grammar.

Daniel