[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

NAM Deokhyun devon_coast373 at toki.waseda.jp
Thu Aug 20 15:52:15 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Here I present information just as a native speaker. In Japanese, that
happens even from teachers to pupils; in Japanese schools, students address
teachers as sensei 'teacher' or NAME + sensei:

sensei-ga tasuke-te-ageru
teacher-NOM help-LNK-BEN
'I will help you.' (from a teacher to a pupil)

In addition to this case and 'mom', 'dad', 'grandmom', 'grandad', 'uncle'
and 'aunt' cases, the following are possible:

(o)ni:chan 'elder brother' or (o)ne:chan 'elder sister' to his or her
younger sibling (or cousin)
oni:chan (or oni:san) 'elder brother' or one:chan (or one:san) 'elder
sister' to a child who is not a relative with him or her (the child can
call him or her so too)
ojisan 'man' or obasan 'madam' to a child who is not a relative with him or
her

By and large the same happens in Korean too (the difference is that, in
Korean, elder brother and elder sister have two different forms
respectively, depending on the natural gender of the addressee).

seonsaeng-nim 'teacher' to his or her pupil
hyeong(-nim) 'elder brother of a boy' from a boy to a related or unrelated
younger boy
obba 'elder brother of a girl' from a boy to a related or an unrelated
younger girl
nwuna 'elder sister of a boy' from a girl to a related or an unrelated
younger boy
eonni 'elder sister of a girl' from a girl to a related or an unreltated
younger girl
ajeossi 'man' or ajwumma 'madam' form a man or madam to an unrelated child

Deokhyun