[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

Michael Daniel misha.daniel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 07:54:38 UTC 2020

Hi everybody.

I reported this as a reaction to the original request in a personal email,
but now that there is so much wonderful data and reactions I might ask in
the list:

does anyone know of a pattern of address, formally both related and
different to the one being discussed, where the apparently 'inverse use' of
the term of address is placed inside a possessive construction, literally
'mother-Poss/Gen' addressing a child, 'aunt-Poss/Gen' to a nephew or niece
etc. This occurs in (some parts of) Daghestan and I always wondered whether
it was an adaptation / reinterpretation of the Near East / Georgian / etc
pattern or an independent development.

Michael Daniel