[Lingtyp] Phonological segment borrowing in the world's languages

Elad Eisen elad.eisen at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Aug 24 19:56:12 UTC 2020

Dear all,
In January, Ian Joo posted a question on this list regarding phonemes in
loanwords, which seems to have sparked some interest. We already mentioned
SegBo (Grossman, Eisen, Nikolaev and Moran 2020a), the first large-scale
cross-linguistic database of phonological segment borrowing in the world's
languages, which has more than 1600 borrowed sounds documented in more than
500
languages.
However, I would now like to draw your attention to our upcoming talk and
other publications available:

1. SLE talk about the notion of "borrowability" (Eisen, Nikolaev, Grossman
and Moran 2020). Our online session (for SLE members) will take place on
August 27th at 15:30 (GMT+2). The talk itself is already publicly available
(link below).

2. Revisiting the Uniformitarian Hypothesis (Grossman, Eisen, Nikolaev and
Moran 2020b), a study in which we used SegBo in order to detect recent
changes in the typological frequencies of speech sounds.

3. My master's thesis (Eisen 2019) presents SegBo and its data, and
investigates the notion of "borrowability", the role of features in the
process of borrowing, and rhotic segment borrowing. It is also available
online (link below).

You can find our current release and additional information and references
on the project's page on GitHub: https://github.com/segbo-db/segbo