[Lingtyp] addressing the daughter as Mummy

Seino van Breugel seinobreugel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:34:53 UTC 2020

Dear all,

In Atong (Tibeto-Burman, Northeast India and Bangladesh), there are several
reciprocal kinship terms that denote non-reciprocal relations. Among them
are *baba *'father', *ama *'mother', *achu *'grandfather' and *abu
*'grandmother'.
These terms are only reciprocal when used as terms of address. This means
that, for example, a father can call his son *baba* and his son calls his
father *baba*, too. Likewise, a mother can call her daughter *ama*, and the
daughter can call her mother *ama* back. A father can call his daughter
*ama*, and a mother can call her son *baba*, but in those cases, the
reverse does not work, i.e. a daughter cannot call her father *ama* and a
son cannot call his mother *baba*. The same goes for the terms *achu*
'grandfather' and *abu* 'grandmother'.

Note that the terms *baba *and *ama* are classificatory kinship terms.
There are different terms for the biological father, *wa•*, and biological
mother, *jyw•*. (In Atong orthography, the letter y represents the sound
schwa, the bullet represents glottalisation.)

Interestingly, Atong also has some non-reciprocal kinship terms for
relationships that are seen as reciprocal in English. For example, the term
*gumi* ‘brother-in-law: elder sister’s husband’, denotes the relation of a
person to his elder sister’s husband, but not the inverse relation and is
thus a non-reciprocal kinship term. The term used to indicate the relation
of someone’s elder sister’s husband to this someone is *jongsyri*
‘brother-in-law: wife’s younger brother’.

Regards,

Seino
Dr. Seino van Breugel
https://independent.academia.edu/SeinovanBreugel