[Lingtyp] 'Take' as diachronic source for causative? 'Stand' for ingressive?

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 17:29:25 UTC 2020

In Yahgan, causative tu:- prefix (colon marks tenseness of vowel preceding)
may be historically related to ata 'take', though it also seems to be
closely related to tvx- (v schwa), from da:gu: 'to handle'.  A more recent
grammaticalization of ata as a suffix has it used as a marker of
Aktsionsart, particularly semelfactive, but in some cases it means 'to
begin to do'.

Jess Tauber