[Lingtyp] Morpheme or X0 "extraction"

fcosw5 fcosw5 at scu.edu.tw
Thu Aug 27 06:25:48 UTC 2020

Right.  This German example looks a lot like the Sanskrit examples that I looked at in my dissertation 30 years ago, on 'Free Word-Order Syntax'.  Obviously, German isn't as 'free' in this regard as Sanskrit, Latin, or the other early IE languages, but there's no question that this kind of thing occurs in human language.

Is this 'X0 extraction'?  In mine analysis of the Sanskrit data, I felt it was better to adopt a preliminary assumption that intervening phrasal nodes might simply be 'erased' and the words making up the phrase could be freely 'scattered' about the clause.  Trying to account for the Sanskrit data in terms of 'extraction' of individual words just muddies the waters.  But I'm pretty sure that's not true for German.

Best,
Steven