[Lingtyp] Integration of postposed vowel-initial vs consonant-initial morphemes

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Thu Aug 27 09:44:16 UTC 2020

Interestingly, the phenomenon described by Hiroto Uchihara occurs in
German: vowel-initial suffixes (e.g. -ig) are typically described as
"integrated in the prosodic word", while consonant-initial suffixes are
described as "non-integrated". For example:

/Farbe/ 'colour'
/farb-ig/ 'colourful' (resyllabified)
/farb-lich/ 'colour-related' (with devoicing: [farp-lɪɕ])

If by "integration" we mean syllabification, then this makes very good
sense, of course. But by "prosodic word", many authors mean a more
important domain – one that is potentially relevant to a range of
different phenomena (e.g. stress, assimilation, ...).

The trouble is that different prosodic word criteria do not always give
the same results (see Schiering et al. 2010: "The prosodic word is not
universal, but emergent"). So testing such claims is very difficult.

It seems to me that in addition to the prosodic structure, it is simple
length (in terms of number of segments) that plays a role: Longer forms
have a greater tendency to remain independent, while shorter forms have
a greater tendency to "attach" to a host in some way.

Martin

Am 27.08.20 um 04:13 schrieb Tim Zingler:

> Hi,
>

> my dissertation looks at wordhood (or rather, the problems with it)
> cross-linguistically, and the facts you report are among the kind of
> phenomena that I was looking for in grammars. My sample contains 60
> unrelated languages, but I do not recall a single grammar discussing
> such an issue at any length. So, I would venture to say that they are
> not commonly reported, although I should also highlight that
> theoretical approaches to prosodic wordhood will cite sporadic
> examples of this kind. (The dissertation should be done later this
> fall. I would be happy to send out the final version).
>

> More generally, to the extent that the situation you describe falls
> within the domain of syllabification, that is a phenomenon that gets
> surprisingly little attention as an indicator of wordhood, both in
> grammars and in theoretical works.
>

> Best,
>

> Tim

Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)