[Lingtyp] Integration of postposed vowel-initial vs consonant-initial morphemes

VG volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Thu Aug 27 10:33:31 UTC 2020

Hi Martin,

I am not familiar with this distinction/generalization. As far as I
know, there is a difference between "stress-neutral" and
"stress-shifting" suffixes in Germanic languages (we discuss that in
König/Gast 2018, Ch. 3). Some suffixes are just added to their bases and
form a phonological domain of their own, e.g. "likeli-hood",
"partner-ship", "Wahrscheinlich-keit", "Ungereimt-heit". They are
sometimes just analysed as phonological words (and they are typically of
Germanic origin). Other suffixes either attract stress ("defizit-är",
"Stabil-ität") or are integrated into the phonological domain of the
host ("solid-ify", "solid-ity"), leading to "regular" stress assignment
(to the extent that this exists in English). They typically seem to be
of Latinate origin.

There may be a certain correlation between the segmental form of a
suffix and its phonological behaviour; all the German stress-shifting
suffixes that we list in our chapter start with a vowel. But English
also has "-s", for instance ("semantics"; well, perhaps that was
originally a plural). Stress-neutral suffixes often, but not
necessarily, start with a consonant ("Ungereimt-heit", "likeli-hood" but
also "Lobpreis-ung", "apprais-al"). There is probably a connection
between the presence of a vowel, which facilitates
integration/resyllabification, and phonological integration; but I don't
think that the rule can be formulated in terms of the opposition between
vowels and consonants. (And I'm not aware of a different treatment for
'-ig' and '-lich'). But perhaps you have a different notion of
integration in mind? (Btw I think Nanna Fuhrhop has worked on this.)

Best,
Volker