[Lingtyp] query: how do ludlings apply to ideophones?

Tim Zingler timzingler at unm.edu
Thu Aug 27 17:54:38 UTC 2020

Hi,

just a brief follow-up/correction to my earlier email. With respect to Khwe, Kilian-Hatz (2008: 21) distinguishes between free vowel-initial grammatical morphemes, which are usually preceded by a glottal stop, and vowel-initial suffixes, which are not. This analysis seems to be based on the same overall reasoning even though one could of course question it (e.g., to what extent are the free morphemes really vowel-initial?).

Kilian-Hatz, Christa. 2008. A grammar of Modern Khwe (Central Khoisan). Cologne: Rüdiger Köppe.

Best,

Tim